All these years since I came out living on my own, I hardly ever do any cooking or baking (instant noodles does not count).
Funny though, because I seem so interested in it. I've always enjoyed watching cooking channels, and I have collected (and lost) so many recipes over the years, always with the intention to try them. Obviously, they never happened.
Perhaps it was the lack of proper cooking equipments, or the lack of time.
Perhaps it was just much easier to eat out rather than cooking for one or two.
Or perhaps I was just lazy and have been procrastinating.
All it took was a baby to kick me in the butt (figuratively speaking) and get me started. It was then that I joined all these parenting networks on Facebook and got inspired by all the cooking mamas (and papas) who were sharing photographs after photographs and recipes after recipes of their work of art.
One category in particular itched me the most- home made breads. So, E bought me a breadmaker while he was in China (as requested). Then, if the timing could not be any better, my mom told me that my aunt from Kajang wants to get rid of an old oven she had and asked if I wanted it. YES! Old as it may be, I have an oven FINALLY!
Since getting the breadmaker, I have been making bread loafs every weekend (though successful only recently)! So far, I've only used the breadmaker to bake the loaves as it was easier and quicker. I usually only start baking Sunday nights so I don't really have a lot of time. Plus with Baby A usually being fussy with who he is around at night (refuses the father most of the time), I've had to alternate between preparing the breadmaker and Baby A.
And with Baby A now on solids, I am constantly trying to prepare new food for him to try over the weekends. At the moment his meals require very minimal cooking and more on single food type- steamed and blended. But since my MIL started making porridge for him, I've made vegetable stock last weekend for her to use in the porridge.
Ever since, I have been making cooking plans every week, e.g. what to make and what I need to get from the supermarket or the neighbourhood baking goods shop.
So what's cooking this weekend?
(I decided to make use of what I have in the refrigerator, as much as I can, especially the fresh goods that cannot be kept any longer.)
For Baby A
Morning
Rolled oats + milk + any fruit puree
Snack
Fresh Apricot + Apple + Pear puree
A couple slices of pear or apple as finger food
Evening
Hi-Fibre porridge in vegetable stock
For the grown-ups
Mini shepherds pie (because I have some leftover minced bacon)
White loaf/black sesame loaf (or oven-baked buns, if time permits)
What I will need to get from the supermarket this time around
For the pie
Potatos
Additional minced lean meat
Onions
Garlic
Margarine for the pie crust (since MIL does not take butter)
***
And oh, we will be bringing Baby A for some water play-time this Saturday at this new baby spa at Setia Walk! I am actually very excited over this. I am sure Baby A will love it! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment